Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Who's To Blame



Before I start this blog, I would like to make 2 statements:  1.  The majority of everything I will say here, the idea, and the thoughts, all came from a message preached by Pastor Marcus Brecheen, one of the pastors at Gateway Church in Southlake, TX.  2.  Though they may agree with much of what has been posted, neither Pastor Marcus or Gateway endorses or is affiliated with this blog in any way.
Pastor Marcus started his message with, “Your identity is greater than your brokenness.”  If you’ve read my testimony, you know why this statement did more than get my attention.  I sat straight up in my chair, and I’m certain my ears were stretching to get as close to the podium as possible.  this was no circumstance. This was God!
Referencing 1 Samuel 18:18, he made the comment that people will often identify themselves by their brokenness. BOY, had I done this TOO many times!!! If anyone ever complimented me in any way I felt I had to give them my resume’ of failures. I couldn’t handle people seeing good in me without knowing the bad.  I felt they had to know everything and then decide if I was worthy of the compliment.  I often joke that I come with my own warning label – which is actually a defense/ safety mechanism – “let me just put this out there now so if you want to leave, you do it before I get emotionally involved.”   Surely I’m not alone!!
There is some brief history of King David given in Pastor Marcus’s message that I probably shouldn’t skip, because he shows that even King David did this to a certain degree.  Even King David questioned:  who am I that God should bless me?
Who am I that I should do anything of any value for God?  Who am I that I would have something to offer someone who is hurting?  Who am I that I should be allowed to be happy or receive God’s blessing.  Who am I-just a simple girl from a broken home in a small, tiny little backwoods town in north Florida, living a life littered with mistakes.  Who am I that I should receive any true happiness?
If you have ever felt this way, I assure you, you are not alone!!
Why do we do this?   Could it be that it is easier for us to believe the devil’s lies?  He certainly has no desire for our success and happiness.  If he can keep us distracted and believing lies, he can keep us off course and powerless.  God’s Word tells us Satan is not only a liar, but the father of lies and that he has come to kill, steal, and destroy.  You can bet, if it has anything to do with God’s blessing or God’s best for your life, he will work overtime to mislead you and keep you from receiving what God so loving wants to bless you with.
David makes a covenant promise with Saul’s son, Jonathan, and years later we see David in 2 Samuel 9 wondering, “is there anyone left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?”  Jonathan had a son named Mephibosheth who was lame in both feet.  Why was he lame?  In 2 Samuel 4 it explains that when news came of Saul and Jonathan’s death Mephibosheth’s nurse picked him up and fled.  As she hurried he fell and became crippled.  He had done nothing wrong. .  His brokenness was not his fault, but it was there.
David brought Mephibosheth to his home and he lived in Jerusalem and ate at the king’s table for the rest of his life.  This is significant for several reasons.  First he was of Saul’s house.  Because David was Saul’s successor as king but did not come from Saul’s family, it was customary for all of Saul’s family to be killed to prevent an uprising or attempted overthrow.  And second, never was anyone crippled or lame or sick allowed in the king’s presence, much less at his table.  David didn’t see Mephibosheth’s brokenness, though Mephibosheth attempts to point it out as a reason he is unworthy of David’s blessing.  David looked beyond that.
God does the same thing with us.  Sometimes our brokenness isn’t our fault.  Sometimes it is the result of someone else’s poor choice or simple mistake.  God does not count us unworthy because we are broken, and he doesn’t hear our excuses or attempts at using our brokenness as a reason we are unworthy of His blessing.  He WANTS to bless us in spite of our brokenness.  He looks beyond that to a greater purpose.  He sees the beauty of who we are and He chooses to bless us because of His own goodness.  He is forever looking for those to whom He can show His favor, and He wants it to be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment