Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Ugly Difference



People are amazing, and everyone comes with a story.  We often look at people and define them by their present circumstances.  Many times we define them without knowing the first thing about them.  Notice I’m using the word define and not the much uglier word “judge”.   I could’ve just as easily used that word and not really altered the meaning of what I am saying. 
We have all sorts of reasons for judging others, but the one I want to focus on is difference.   We are often afraid of anything or anyone that is different than what we are comfortable with.  We perceive ourselves as somehow being above them. We don’t want to talk to them for fear that others might think we are like them.  Or maybe we are afraid we might “catch” whatever it is we think they have, as if their circumstance is some sort of contagious disease.
In my present circumstances, I am daily faced with opportunity to communicate with people some might say were beneath me.  Honestly, many of my friends would not take the time to communicate with them.  (don’t put me on a pedestal here or think I am trying to.  I PROMISE you , I am not.)
Allow me to share with you one of the people I have met.  There is one dear, sweet lady whose face is severely contorted.  She is missing one eye.  Her face looks burned.  Most of her teeth are missing, and the ones she does have are twisted.  Her jaw is so out of line that her words are often difficult to understand, and at first I really wasn’t sure I wanted to talk to her.  But, I talk to everybody, and she initiated the conversation. 
What I discovered was a dear, sweet, vibrant, and friendly person.  I really had to concentrate when listening to her because she was difficult to understand sometimes, but she was beautiful!  As I talked with this lady I got a glimpse of how physically beautiful she once was. She was so full of joy.  I don’t know what her story was.  How did she get this way?  Was it an accident?  Was it an illegal mishap?  Had she been abused?  I don’t know.
I do know that it altered her world.  She could not get work.  People looked at her funny and would step off the sidewalk to avoid having to even say hi.  Remember, I was one of those who likely wanted to step off the sidewalk.  She started the conversation with me, not the other way around. 
I am smiling right now as I think of her and her joyous, bubbly personality.  It might not be the best wrapped package, but what a treasure inside! 
The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 NKJ
Father God, I pray you would open the eyes of my heart that I might see the world through your eyes. May I never shy away from or withhold your love from anyone because I am afraid of their differences. 
EVERY PERSON is valuable to the Father.  He knows each of our stories.  He loves each of us very deeply. We all want to be seen and valued!  As a Christian, this is what we owe people.  But for the grace of God go I. 
My friend, Donna Davis has a blog: Walking With The Father –www. walking-withthefather.blogspot.com.  In her most recent blog, Learning To See Others Through God’s Eyes, she has this paragraph:
  It is sad to see or realize that people refuse to get out of their comfort zone to get to know someone just because they are different then themselves. Who knows what life changing event would not happen just because we do not bother to try?
I encourage you to read her blog.  What a beautiful heart for God she has.  

No comments:

Post a Comment